Monday, August 30, 2010

Three great components do not always create one great meal

I had an idea tonight to make a simple meal.  Savory Tofu with a touch of sweet brussels sprouts and beet mix.  Then I thought, I need to eat some lentils because I have not had them in awhile and my low iron fears deemed it necessary.   Still simple..but my normally spot-on editing eye took a holiday and I started to add more and more to this dinner.

What I ended up with was tofu tossed in a homemade peanut sauce (peanuts from Superior Nuts, Cambridge!), sweet brussels and beets (with bit of maple syrup), lentils with caramelized onions and beet greens.  It looked very appetizing and, separately, each of these were well flavored and great tasting.    Together it was flavor overload.  

Thinking about it, it was the peanut sauce.  It was a bit to peanut-ty and really overtook the plate.  Over some plain brown rice, it would have worked but not with all the other flavors.  Also, brussels sprouts and beets are soo flavorful and yummy as is, adding anything to them seems insane in hindsight!  Luckily I did not have a heavy hand with the syrup so it cooked down well..

To top it off, my eyes were way bigger than my stomach so I could not finish it.   I ate all the lentils (my favorite part of the meal!) and put everything else, including the beet greens that did not make it to the dish, into a bowl for lunch tomorrow.  Without the lentils and the addition of unseasoned greens, this may work as a random lunch..we will see.  

These components will surely show up again in separate meals...and note that with the exception of the lentils all the ingredients were local!  That is the theme of this blog, so seemed fitting to mention!

No comments:

Post a Comment