Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Beets


I love beets.  There you go.  I love eating them and I love talking about them.  I did not always love beets...I use to strongly dislike them..then I could take them or leave them..now I am obsessed!   Red beets or golden beets, I love them all the same.

Low in calories, but high is folate, potassium, vitamin C and fiber, they are a nutrient bonanza.  Full of color and flavor, these tasty vegetables can be integrated into any meal seamlessly.   I used them to top a salad, pasta or rice.  I also just eat them as a side dish!

I am partial to the Parker Farm beets.  His red beets are huge and mutant like, but still provide an explosion of flavor when you take a bite.   The golden beets are smaller, but equally delish.  Don't forget that you can also eat the greens.  So you roast, boil or steam (yes, steam) the beets and saute the greens.  For the price os $2 (red) or $3 (golden) you have almost a full meal! 




I also love Parker Farm golden cherry tomatoes, white onions and pretty much anything that the man grows...Parker Farm is located in Lunnenberg, MA and you can find him and his crew peddling veg at Union Sq and Central Sq Farmers Markets.


Golden Beets and Beet Greens with Vermont Goat Cheese walnuts and golden raisins over brown rice.

I steamed all the beets because they last forever once cooked.  I used 3 for dinner.

I waited too long to cook the greens, so I had to throw a few away, but still had a good amount to cook.  I sauteed them in a non-stick pan and added a bit of evoo when I was about done.  

Toast the walnuts for a few minutes..gives them a fantastic flavor!

Brown rice, topped with greens and walnuts, beets, raisins (optional for a little sweetness) and goat cheese.  Here you go..

Be happy and healthy! ~L



No comments:

Post a Comment