Thursday, August 26, 2010

My name is Lisa and I love tofu.


The distinct lack of meat, poultry and fish in my meals may have tipped you off that I am a vegetarian.  It was first for health reasons..who needs all the red meat?!  Now, the thought of eating something that once clucked, mooed, oinked or swam is completely unappealing.  The life-style is not for everyone but it is what you will find here.  I can only hope that even the strictest of carnivores may find something appealing in this silly little blog that I present to you.

OK, back to the subject title.  I do not eat tofu just as a protein source, I actually crave it.  Since it has no real taste, it forces you to be imaginative and invent the flavor.  What animal product gives you that  kind of creative license?     

There are many varieties of tofu and I have tried a good bunch of them. Then I discovered this little locally made brand called 21st Century Foods.  Based in Jamaica Plain, there is little information on this company but my taste buds know that this is the best and most fresh tofu they have ever encountered.  It is not just the taste, but the texture.  I have had some tofu blocks that look over processed and more like a sponge, porous and square, than something that should be eaten.  This tofu is smooth and cut unevenly. It is clearly not made by a machine, but cut by a human being..imagine that!

21st Century Foods also has a line of tempeh products and can be found at Sherman's market and the Harvest Co-Op in Central Sq.  Probably elsewhere, but these are places I know for sure.  

Tonight I had a desire for trifecta..sweet, savory and hot.  Local maple syrup, a dash of cayenne pepper and some low sodium soy sauce is a combination that still has my mouth watering, although the meal is long gone.  Of course, this meal would be nothing without local vegetables!  I sauteed purple scallions and purple peppers, which turn greenish when cooked (disappointing!).  This total combination was ridiculously delicious!  I put this on top of a bed of brown rice and blanched collard greens.  I topped the whole thing with toasted walnuts...for a crunch.  
Update:  How could I forget the sage?!  Maybe a little sad, but very true...I just woke up and thought this very question.  I sauteed the onions with fresh sage and remember thinking this combination is fantastic and the aroma was delectable...so when making this do not forget the sage!

If you are interested in trying tofu for the first time, or just looking for a new way it, try this recipe!


Tofu (21st Century Foods, JP, purchased at Harvest Co-op)
1tbsp sesame oil
1tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1tbsp maple syrup (Brookledge Sugarhouse, Whatley MA purchased at Sherman's)
dash of cayenne pepper
Collard greens (Parker Farm, Central Sq Farmers market)
purple pepper (Dick's Garden Farm, Central Sq Farmers market)
purple scallion (Dick's Garden Farm, Central Sq Farmers market)
walnuts
sage

Marinate tofu in oil, soy, syrup and cayenne.  Saute onions until translucent, add peppers.  Pour in tofu and marinade and mix together.  Cook until tofu has a nice brown coloring.  

I blanched the collards and added a bit of salt and pepper.  The walnuts were toasted stove top quickly until hot and smell like they are ready to eat :)


No comments:

Post a Comment