Monday, August 23, 2010

Rainy Farmers Market and Eggplant with a twist



Feeling more like Fall than Summer today, it was tough to head out to the market at lunch, but I knew the market would be suffering from the rain and I needed onions.  I purchased some raspberries first then moved on to the veggies, but when I hit the stand where I would normally buy the best white onions, I am told they are gone!  Gone?  Yes, gone.  Disappointing, but isn't that the point of the Market?  Buying what is available?  So I purchased some cabbage and collard greens from Mr. Parker and moved to the next stand, Dick's Market Garden, and there I found some beautiful purple onions..and they were just perfect..take that white onions!

Tonight's meal was inspired by the half eggplant left over from last night's pizza.  Knowing it was now or never, I decided to cook it up.  What to do with the perfect purple onion and collard greens purchased on this wet day?  Let's layer then between the eggplant..add some Fiori di Nonno cheese and  freshly pureed tomatoes (purchased Saturday from the now onionless Parker Farm)...

Makes 2 servings:

eggplant (enough to cut 6 good round slices)
small bunch of collard greens
small onion
2 medium tomatoes
garlic clove
mozzarella
fresh basil
Salt and pepper
evoo

Simple Step be Step Process:

Preheat oven to 350

Slice eggplant, cover with salt and set aside.  Rinse after 30-60 minutes

Boil water in a large pot.  Blanch the collards quickly (do not leave them in the water for more than 2-3 mins.).  Remove from water, let cool, and drain excess water

Slice onions and saute until translucent.   Add collards, a bit oil, salt and pepper.  Mix together and let simmer for a few minutes.

In a food processor: tomatoes, garlic and fresh basil and hit chop.

Spray some of the non-stick stuff on to a baking pan and spoon in enough tomato to cover bottom.  Layering is as follows: eggplant, collard greens and onion, cheese, tomato.  Continue until last eggplant slice is on and top with tomato and cheese.

Cook for about 45-50 minutes.

I paired it with lettuce and cherry tomato salad.  I like to see how many veggies I can get into one meal!

Before

After

No comments:

Post a Comment