Saturday, August 28, 2010

Local Saturday




Great day and night supporting local businesses!  

With all my local farmers market shopping lately, it was clear today that I needed to head to Greenward to grab more reusable veggie bags.  Much like the "other sock" my bags seem to disappear with every use or wash!  For those who do not know, Greenward is a little store in Cambridge that provides great items for the environmentally conscious.  They have tons of shopping bags, food containers, baby clothing, jewelry..etc.  My favorite purchase has to be my reusable sandwich sack decorated with cartoon frogs..my almond butter sandwich lives snuggled and happy until noon time when I dig in for lunch!
They also have an amazing selection of items online, for those not located in the area: http://www.greenwardshop.com/shop/new/ 

I had time to kill between dinner and finishing errands, so headed down to True Grounds for some great iced coffee and book reading.  The service there is fast and efficient and the atmosphere welcomes you to sit and read for hours..the people that spend time there are pretty nice too!  Had a lovely conversation with a guy who caught eye of the book I was reading and wanted my opinion..

Next went to pick up my favorite geneticist for some much needed catching up time and Indian food.  The Kebab Factory on Washington St, Somerville has been on the "to eat at" list for a while.  One bite in and I declared this place my new favorite restaurant!  The service was impeccable, the food looked and smelled appealing and the taste completely blew us away!  
I am not one to photograph food that I did not cook, but look at this dish!  It is called the  Hyderabadi Mirch Aur Baingan Ka Salan..or eggplant and chilies with sesame peanut and tamarind sauce.   I will admit I ate the whole thing and it was worth every calorie (nothing a 12 mile run tomorrow won't fix!).  It actually was not as heavy as it looks.   The nan was not weighed down with butter or oil, as I have seen it in other places, instead it was light and somewhat airy. 
We usually share, but my bud was feeling carnivorous tonight and I think we were both glad to have our meals all to ourselves!  (Note: Kebab Factory participate on restaurant.com..get a $25 coupon for $2-3 and eat cheap!)

Sadly, the meal came to end but why not hit one more great local spot before calling it a night?  Enter Christina's Ice Cream, Cambridge St, Cambridge (Inman Sq).  The long line tells the story..give people good ice cream and they will keep coming back.  There was a good rhythm by the staff so even though the line was out the door, we only waited about 5 minutes to have our order served up.   I thought I would need a lot of time to choose from the dozens of options..but of course there was only one option in my book...Taza Chocolate.   The Taza ice cream taste exactly like the candy bar only in a smooth creamy form.  I usually go for the kiddie size since most places hit you with mounds of  ice cream even in a small.    At Christina's, a small is only 1 scoop, which is exactly right and as was the price!

Over all a great local day!  



No comments:

Post a Comment