Thursday, August 26, 2010

Taza Chocolate Cupcakes

I did not post last night because I was hanging with a group of awesome, hip senior citizens and eating some fine food prepared for me.  This was followed by good-bye drinks (only 1 drink for me) with  co-workers, one of whom is moving to the "big city" (as one senior called it) NYC.  We headed to Christopher's in Porter Sq.  I use to spend a good amount of time eating at Christopher's but then I stopped..not sure why!  The smell of the food was extremely appealing and the atmosphere laid back.  I plan on heading back to grab a meal soon.  Last night I sipped their fantastic drink known as Cool as a Cucumber.  Highly recommended and I am sure would be even more tasty sitting outside on a warmer Summer day rather than inside on a randomly cold and rainy August night..

To make up for the missing a night..I am posting a recipe that was adapted from one I found on the Arlington Farmers Market website.  I made some changes to call it my very own.  The most important being substituting 1/3 cup of sugar with 1/3 cup of Lavender Honey. 
The cupcakes also contain red beets..yes more beets!  Their flavor is not prominent, only adds extra sweetness.  

The star of the show, of course, is the Taza Chocolate.  This chocolate  is 100% organic, stone ground and hand molded!  I have chatted with the sellers at the Union Farmers Market..they are chocolate experts!  The production of this flavorful treat is here in Somerville and sold everywhere (Farmers markets, Sherman's, True Grounds, Dave's Fresh Pasta..on and on)  Soon their store front will be opening AND they give factory tours...no golden ticket needed for this tour, Charlie!!

Check them out here: http://www.tazachocolate.com/


These cupcakes were a hit at the work party and hope you all enjoy them as well!  With the exception of the flour and baking powder, every ingredient in the cupcake was made or grown locally!



4 ounces Stone Ground Taza Chocolate (70%) (Windsor St, Somerville)
8 Tbs Butter (1 stick) (VT Creamery)
1 Egg (NH)
3 Tbs Beet Puree (Parker Farm)
1/3 cup lavender honey (Herb Lyceum, MA)
½ cup Flour
½ tsp Baking Powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Melt chocolate in double boiler or heavy bottom pan and set aside to cool slightly
Cream butter and sugar
Add egg and beet puree to butter and sugar mix and blend well
Pour in cooled, melted chocolate
Mix together baking powder and flour
Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and mix to make a smooth batter
Allow to rest about 5 minutes
Butter a 12 cup muffin tin or line with paper baking cups
(I used a mini muffin tin to make 24 cupcakes)
Pour batter into muffin tins
Bake for 20-25 minutes  (smaller cupcakes only took 10-15 mins)

Frosting:

6 oz of Chobani Fat free plain yogurt (NY)
½ tsp of cinnamon
½ tbsp lavender honey (Herb Lyceum, MA) 

Beet puree:
1 lrg or 2 small beets
Boil or roast until tender and puree in a food processor.


No comments:

Post a Comment