Monday, September 6, 2010

Local bars and bands

Last night there was a switch in squares for me and my friend O.  Sometimes you have to change it up, so instead of the usual Union Sq, we decided to head west into Davis.  Students are back, so you don't know what crowd will be out and about but we went for it anyway.

We settled on Joshua Tree for dinner, which was surprisingly half empty.  It was a Sunday night, but with a new crop of students and a Monday holiday one would expect more of a crowd.  I have had many of a night out there in the past, but I do not remember ever dinning in.  Well the meal that was served up is probably why, if have did eat there in the past, I have no memory.  Nothing outstanding or original in this place.  Decent amount of vegetarian options, but nothing that jumped off the page.

We decided to split a veggie platter for an app to start.  The vegetables were fresh and seasonal, as stated, but nothing fabulous about the balsamic reduction on top, nor with the side raspberry dressing.

I suspected, and proven correct, that the vegetable burger was not made in-house.  It seems so last decade to not have a homemade veggie burger on your menu and even more outdated to not have more than one bread option (white sesame roll, really).  I chose it anyway since they did make an effort to liven it up by topping it with grilled eggplant, zucchini and roasted peppers.  Subbed the fries for a salad and, after one dip into the peanut dressing, grateful I had asked it on the side.   The burger was not awful, but it was also not worth the $10.99 I was charged.  I can buy 3 boxes of 4 Garden Burgers for that price and make my own over-processed meal.  Beer was good..as always Alagash White and then a switch to Harpoon IPA..both local, both good!

I don't see myself heading back to the Joshua Tree anytime soon...especially not with the opening of the Foundry (owned by the same person as the Precinct and Independent) and the far superior Burren  across the way.  Maybe they will read this and make some updates...or not

After dinner we decided to ditch the dead bar scene at Joshua and head to the Burren where we found the crowd.  Dark and a bit dingy, the Burren is a great spot to have a drink and rock out to some music.  Did you know that Sunday is no cover night?  Great music for free..just tip the band!  We head in back to where the bands are set up.  No idea who is playing or when, we grab a brew.  Yes, local Lisa missed the UFO/Harpoon IPA on the board and went with a Blue Moon...I am still regretting this!  Especially when I was called out by the MC who asked what I was having...but in good spirits he offered me a UFO and the night went on.

First up was some singer/song writer whose name I have sadly already forgotten..he was from Baltimore and every song seems to have been written for his wife..that is all I got from him.

I was sitting next to a local comedian (Brian Hourihan..shout out!) who informed me that the next band was awesome...and he could not have been more right.  Up next was the amazingly talented group from Waltham and parts western MA called The Franks.  Blazing out with hot reggae stylings my first thought was the drummer is really cute!  My other music related thought was ...these guys are like Sublime but better...turns out they are more of a fusion of Sublime, Chili Peppers and the Police (their rendition of Everything Thing She Does is Magic was phenomenal and had me on my feet busting a move like only this white girl can..)  Don't get me wrong, they have their own fresh sound..but all bands have influences..

I have no idea how long they played, but it was not long enough for me.  Fantastic crowd interaction, music with great lyrics and a body moving beat ...this band is a hidden gem on the local scene.  They had me so involved in their performance, it was not until their short break that I noticed I was surrounded by college kids with hats cocked sideways and "tried too hard" outfits....worth hanging out with the young crowd to hear these guys!  I was able to give a few members of the band my humble positive feed back and in return they were friendly and gracious..

You should "like" them on Facebook to see what they are up too or go to their webpage: thefranksmusic.com.  I am there now listening to the free tunes offered.

Never know what you will discover hanging in your local neighborhood!

1 comment:

  1. Hey . . thanks for the kind words. We're really glad you had a good time!

    --theFRANKS

    ReplyDelete