Saturday, September 11, 2010

Living Local in Lettomanoppello

Good Morning!

It is an gorgeous Saturday morning here and I am enjoying it with a cup of coffee and a cinnamon raisin bagel from True Grounds.  I love that I walk in there with my over sized travel mug and still get charged for a small...this is how you encourage people to reduce waste!

Normally, I would be getting ready to load the saddle bags on the bike and head to the Union Sq. Farmers Market..it is, after all, Saturday morning.  Today will be different because local Lisa will be heading to local it up in a small town in Italy called Lettomanoppello (say that 5 times fast!).  This is not Rome or Florence, but a little town with cobble stone roads and where everything shuts down at 1PM for lunch and nap time.

This is where local is a way of life and I plan to jump right in..espresso in the AM, large lunches and small dinners.  Outdoor markets are huge and sell everything (not just food!)..and I plan on shopping!  Need a snack? No worries just grab a fig off of any random tree you see!  Night life has everyone out..old and young alike...just hanging and enjoying life.  There should be a lot of local religious feasts going on...they put the North End to shame.

Why head to such a small town?  Well it has been a long 4 years since I visited this lady..she is my nonna and a culinary wonder!  Also in this area are my aunts, uncles and cousins and more cousins including some new additions that I have yet to meet!   I am beyond excited to see everyone!

Nonna!


I will be spending a glorious 14 days relaxing and spending quality time with the fam.  Zia Maria owns a restaurant where she whips up new recipes all the time...are you seeing where my love for cooking comes from??  Don't worry I plan on learning some new recipes, so you all will benefit as well!

Since Local Lisa will not be in town to support her favorite places..I would love for my loyal followers here to fill-in for me!  

Union Sq. Farmers Market is about to open and the farmers need your support (9am-1pm)!  No time? Don't worry Central is open on Monday from 12-6PM and Davis Sq on Wednesday (12-6PM)!  You have the opportunity to try burrata from Fiori di Nonno or Mexican Chocolate from Taza at all 3 markets!

Sherman's cafe will be losing out a regular iced coffee drinker..so maybe ditch Dunkins for some quality brew or maybe spend a bit of time reading at True Grounds with a light roast..

Looking for a place to eat?  Well try the new independent restaurant that may have opened in your town instead of the same old chain...Living around here?  I know for a fact that Pizzeria Posto is in full Fall pumpkin mode..pumpkin beer and pumpkin risotto!  The Foundry just opened this week in Davis Sq...I have yet to try it, so go and let me know how it is!  I am still drooling over the Banana Bread Pudding from Highland Kitchen..worth the calories to the last bite!

Fluff Fest is being held in Union Sq on Sept 25th...a festival for what is probably the worst food ever invented..but it was created in Somerville and the event looks like a blast so go and have fun!

I will try to blog about being Local in Lettomanoppello..but as you can imagine internet may not be as readily available!  

Stay happy, healthy and local!!

~L

1 comment: