Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Happy Fall!

I am back and happy to be here!  Loved Italy but when it comes to Fall, there is no place like New England.   I love everything about Fall.  The clothes, the food, the weather and the return of Glee.  
For me, Summer is all about the fruit and Fall is when vegetables really take center stage.  Pumpkin, pumpkin beer, pumpkin butter, pumpkin pie..oh my!  There is squash galore, brussels sprouts and artichokes.  Don't worry, apples are on my radar and I received a fantastic recipe from a wonderful lady in Italy for apple cake..

After work today I was able to make it to the Davis Sq. Market.   I was craving some rich New England veggies after 2 weeks of pasta and cheese.  For dinner tonight: acorn squash topped brussels sprouts and corn.  Not having my sweet and savory combo for a long while..that was the plan for the meal.

First, Cut the acorn squash into quarters.  Drizzled sesame oil, salt and pepper over and popped it into the oven at 400 degrees.  It cooked for about 25-30 mins...the last few minutes I put it on broil to brown the top a bit


While the squash is baking, prepare the topper.  I sauteed a tiny bit of onion, a glove of garlic and some ginger in a pan. I quartered the brussels sprouts and added to the pan with a little water.  I removed the corn kernels from the cob..added that to the pan after the sprouts cooked for a bit.  I added some dry sage and about a tablespoon of maple syrup.  Cooked it all together to get the flavors mixed.  This pan was brought from Italy..love it!

Pulled out the squashed, plated and topped with the veggie mix.  Wonderful and easy Fall dish!
I only ate two quarters and ran out of the topper component, so I took the other pieces and tossed it with some rice..lunch tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment