Friday, September 3, 2010

In with Earl




Hanging in on this Friday night due to a potential high-wind rain storm..but true to weathermen form it seems this one has been blown out of proportion.

Regardless, happy to be in after a long work week and even happier to finally cook up the huge cauliflower I picked up from the Kimball Farm stand at the market Saturday.  Have I ever mentioned one of my favorite things about buying local vegetables is the length of time they keep?  If you think about a cauliflower that is picked in California, stored, transported, stocked and then bought by you?  It easily has been off the farm for 1 to 2 weeks!  Even worse, have you ever wondered how it last in your home for even 1 day?  What has been done to the vegetable?  Scary to think about it!  

I can buy food picked the day before OR on the day of the market and know it will last me the week (plus) and not go to waste.   Now only if we can find a way to grow bananas, avocados and kiwis in New England!

Back to the cauliflower.  Cauliflower is a good source of fiber and low in calories.  I really love it in curries, but tonight I needed to use what I had in the homestead.  I had a couple of tomatoes left over from the jarring event on Sunday so I chopped those up.  I quickly sauteed the tomatoes with onion and garlic.  I have a stove top steamer, so once the water boiled I had the cauliflower in there for about 4-5 minutes.  Tossed it in with the tomato and blended all the flavors.  Could have easily eaten this all raw, but I was feeling the need for a warm meal...even though it is extremely humid out and I was melting those few minutes in front of the stove.

Placed it on top of Lily's Vegan Pasta and here you go..




No comments:

Post a Comment