Monday, September 20, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love

Ciao from the slowest free internet this town has to offer!  The computers are available from 4 to 7 pm M-F..this is only the second time I have been free during the time period so here I am!  So for any typos in adavance ..the keyboard is different here and really does not work well.

So far the trip has been as expected..a lot of family time, relaxation and of course eating.  Without having to work, cook or clean..a girl can become a bit lazy!   Actually, I have been thinking about how great it will be to go home and prepare the meals on my own stove.  Pasta fagoli like zia Maria makes and marinated eggplant jarred as zia Fiorella does.  Potato pizza is always even more  wonderful than I remember and I always wish it would become as popluar in the States as it is here.  I won't even start on the gelato...

Eat Pray Love..there is a reason for that subject.  I have not read the book or seen the movie, but my understanding is that a woman came to Italy to eat, then India to pray and France for love.  I say..why not get it all here as I do?  Here the food is hands down something that can never go wrong.  I have had the freshest tomato sauce, the most amazing homemade pasta, richest cheese, and eggs that were pulled from the chickens that AM and prepared for afternoon lunch.  Local and fresh were practically invented here and I am loving every bite of it.  Being the American niece and granddaughter, I tend to get the most attention during the visit.  They know I love gnocchi, so that was on the menu within days of arrival.  My italian is awful so the best way to show love for us: they give me food that I enjoy and I eat until they say I am full.
It was a little difficult to start since last time I was here I was still eating fish...and they just do not see the point in not eating a little meat.  The common question is : what will she have for her second course?  Well, usually nothing since we only eat 1 course at home!  Here my second has been vegetables and chese..a lot of cheese.

Today we went to visit other family members who apparently did not get word of my eating habits.  I have not felt so awful as I did today when I realized the the lasgana that was prepared for lunch had tons of meat and I could not eat it.  I was so upset I was almost determined just to eat it by picking out the meat, but it was clear that would not work.  Once my cousin realized what was up..she jumped from her seat and insisted on making my spagetti. Mordified, I said no but she insisted.  She asked if I would like it bianco (white) and I said yes, anything to prevent her from doing anymore work!  But no, her husband was up and out the door to return with a bottle of fresh jarred tomato sauce..my eyes welded with tears feeling so awful for being such a pain and being so grateful for having an amazing family.  I apologized and said sorry for not letting her know...she put her hand to my face and told me not to worry a bit.
In 10 minutes I had a bowl of spagetti with an amazing sauce before me...it was the most delicious spagetti I have had in years!  Was it the sauce or the love it was prepared with?  Maybe both.

Eat and love..they go hand and hand here.  The pray..well they are a religious bunch.   I pray that the  bowl of food I am eating never ends while at the same time pray that it is the last course so I will fit into the new skinny jeans I purchased before leaving!

No comments:

Post a Comment