Sunday, January 2, 2011

Vegan Chili

With the holiday season finally over, I am back to my usual cooking Sundays. I could not be happier! I missed creating my own menu and enjoying the reward of the meals. The second meal for today was a large pot of vegan chili that will serve for at least 3 to 4 meals. Perfect for what will be my first full week of work in a month! Between that and the leftover Mac and Cheese from yesterday, I am set for lunch for most of the week.  Remember, preparation is what separates someone who is able to maintain a healthy diet and someone who cannot.  If you can easily grab a container of a healthy meal that you prepared from the refrigerator,  it will lessen the temptation of going out for lunch and making the wrong choice. A new year often brings on an old resolution...let this be the year you keep it.

I am here to help you out. 

Tonight I prepared a hearty, meatless chili.  I love chili because it is extremely filling without being very high in calories.  It is also filled with great ingredients that are nutrient dense.  Iron, fiber, protein and lycopene are all present in this dish.  Also present is a bit-o-chocolate.   I used Guajillo Chili chocolate from Taza. It is the only Taza chocolates I have been hesitant to consume.   I knew I would one day buy it and use it for a chili..and today was that day.  I was fairly confident it would work.  Luckily, I was reassured last week when a friend mentioned she used their CaoCao Puro in her chili. 
The good news is that it worked. The even better news is that I did not like it straight up, so I will not finish the pack! I will have more to make this dish again. The chocolate was not over powering at all.  It added a nice creamy texture and an amazing aroma.

Ingredients:
1 cup Dry Red Kidney Beans (MA)
1 cup Dry Black Beans (MA)
1 cup Dry Chick Peas 
1 small Shallot (MA)
1 Raw Green Bell Peppers
12 oz Diced tomatoes (NH, I used my fresh jarred ones from the summer..yum!)
1 tbsp Chili Powder
1tsp paprika
1tsp cayenne
1 tsp coriander
1 cup reserved bean water
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2- 3/4 of 1 disc Taza Chocolate - Guajillo Chili Chocolate (2 disc per pk, Somerville MA)

I soaked three types of beans for about 2 hours. I then boiled them in a large stock pot. I cooked until they were just under done. I removed them from the heat and strained them in a strainer, reserving the water that was left in a bowl (1 cup). I used the same pot to prepare the chili. Added ~1tsp of olive oil and 1 small onion. Sauteed that for a few minutes and then added the spices (chili, paprika, cayenne and coriander) and mixed with the onion. Ad the beans, tomato, and green pepper and combine with spices. Add the reserved water and the vegetable broth. Lower heat and let simmer. Add in of Taza chocolate a bit of a time. Taste as you go until you have the flavor you like. I would not use more than 3/4 of one disk. 
I let the whole pot simmer for about 20 minutes so the flavors would blend.  I knew it was going to be good when my eyes were watering in the next room...even though there was a lid on the pot!  You can see in the photo that the chocolate also gave the chili a rich chocolate color and a wonderful flavor.   


I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did.  While you are at Taza chocolate, I highly recommend buying some of their other products...they never disappoint!.

~L

No comments:

Post a Comment