Sunday, January 2, 2011

Stuffed Portobello

My apartment still has the amazing aroma of caramelized shallots and I could not wait to share this creation I just inhaled for lunch.   It has mushroom, it has shallots and it has goat cheese..it was perfect.  My only mistake was making just one..

Simple and easy.  It is great a small lunch or paired as your side with some brown rice or risotto.

1 portobello mushroom (from PA)
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 oz goat cheese (VT)
2 tsp local honey (MA)
1 sm shallot (MA)
1 tsp olive oil
~1 oz of greens (I used local asian greens that were similar to bok choy, but any will work!)
1 tbsp chopped walnuts
sage (dried or fresh/there is was still some living in the back yard so I grabbed it)
sea salt and pepper

First, clean the mushroom and de-stem.  Pour the balsamic inside the cap and bake it at 350 for about 20 minutes.  I just wait until I start to smell the yummy mushroomness of it and I know it is done.  Never underestimate the power of your nose.  When it was done there was some liquid in the cap, just dump it out.

Heat oil in a pan on med heat.  Add shallots and toss with oil.  Let cook for a few minutes and then add 1 tsp of honey to help with the caramelizing.  This should only take about 15 minutes since it is just a small shallot.

Boil a pot of water.  Add the greens for 1-2 minutes for a quick blanche and then remove and add to a bowl of very cold/ice water for another minute.  This helps to maintain the freshness of the vegetable and keeps the nutrients in the veg.  I patted it down with a paper towel to dry it up a bit and added salt and pepper.

Combine the goat cheese, walnuts, 1 tsp of honey and sage.

Once everything is done..you start to build.

First: Stuff cap with cheese mixture


Second: Add onions


Finally: top with fresh greens...look at the amazing color they have!


A few simple steps and you will have a mouth full of sweet, savory and crunchy delightfulness.   It is also a healthy meal/side!

Try it..trust me you will love it..

~L

No comments:

Post a Comment