Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Vegan Taza Chocolate Chipped Cookies

I apparently am determined to become a better baker. I say I will not bake again but I feel the urge come over me and there I am..mixing chocolate and sugar. Sigh. My execution is still lacking, but the recipes are getting better.   Amazing how I barely think about dinner and I can toss together something very enjoyable. These cookies on the other hand totally stressed me out.  Luckily is all worked out in the end.  At least in my opinion! 

How can you really go wrong when you take a disc of Taza salted almond chocolate and chip it into a cookie? You really can't.....well at least no more than 2 times.  It took the 3rd try to get these right.  The problem was that I was trying to make them vegan, low calorie and low fat all at once.  I had to take it a step at a time.  First, vegan.  I am working one a lower calorie version.  As you can probably tell, they are not the healthiest..but they sure were good!

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup Earth Balance spread (I use the soy free)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 package of Taza Salted Almond Chocolate (chopped)

Instead of 2 eggs I used this "formula" to replace them
1 egg= 2 tbsp of water, 1 tsp canola oil and 2 tsp of baking powder. I did this in a separate bowl and added to the mixture later.
Directions

PREHEAT oven to 375° F.
First, you have to "chip" the chocolate.  I just used a small knives and cut away.  Nothing has to be exact here..

COMBINE flour and baking soda in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add egg replacement..beating well. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chips. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.   Because of the missing eggs, the batter may be a little dry.  I simply added water a tablespoon at a time (2 did the trick).

You do not have too cook them for too long because there is no egg. If the oven is hot enough I would go with 6-7 minutes...



Be happy and healthy!

~L


1 comment:

  1. I have been adding chickpeas in my choc chip cookies since I've seen it in Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook. I make sure they are nice and soft before I add. It's protein, fiber and a filler that makes the cookie less flour-y.

    ReplyDelete