Saturday, December 18, 2010

...and I am back

I am still here and still living local.  Unfortunately, life sometimes side tracks my postings.  In this last bit of time off it was the loss of a loved one that put the post on hiatus.  If you have been reading my post, you know that I traveled to Italy at the end of the Summer to visit with my wonderful Nonna Ilda, whose health was failing.  She was able to keep the fight going while we were there, but sadly her health declined quickly and passed away two weeks ago.  It is never easy to lose a loved one, but to be so far away makes it all the more difficult.  
She was amazing, funny, sweet and my #1 chef...this meal is dedicated to her.
So tonight's dinner is something that nonna probably never would have made..but I like to think she would have enjoyed it..
As you can imagine, finding local farm fresh vegetables in the Northeast this time of year is a tough assignment, but not an impossible one.  Sherman's Market in Somerville has tons of local root vegetables and dried beans.  Whole Foods has a good selection as well, so hope it not lost.
Today I purchased golden beets from Whole Foods and combined them with a carrot I bought at Sherman's the other day.  Now greens can be tougher so I had to shop outside the local region to buy some kale.  Buy local as much as possible, but don't reduce your consumption of good, nutrient dense foods in the process!  Kale is a wonderfully tasty green loaded with Vitamins K, A, and C.  It is also a great source of fiber, iron and calcium.  I bought a large bunch, so expect it to show up later in the week in soup form.
Now I have written about Dave's Fresh Pasta and Lilly's Pasta in the past.  I have another great, local pasta/pastry place for you to visit.  This is where my parents shop..so you know it has to be authentic Italian.  It is called Il Pastificio in Everett MA.  Their pasta is homemade, fresh and delicious.  They have yummy desserts too..that they wrap in wrapping paper in the style of old Italy...love it.   They have wide variety of pastas..unfortunately they do not have website, so you will have to just go there and check them out.  I used the wild mushroom ravioli tonight.  I do not think that mushroom ravs should be topped with tomato sauce, which is why I went with veggies instead...


Colorful and delish
I sauteed a bit of local onion in a nonstick large pan on medium heat until translucent.  Remove the skin from the carrots and beets.  Slice carrots and cube beets..add to pan.  Cook until tender, but still have a bit.  Nothing can kill a meal like overcooked vegetables.  Add the kale and cook down.  Have water boiling and add ravioli (or any pasta you have).  If it is fresh it will only take a few minutes to cook once the water come back to a boil.   I wanted to keep the meal simple, so did not add a bunch of seasonings.  Instead, I drained the ravioli and added to the pan with the veggies.  I added some sea salt, cracked pepper and a 1/2 tbsp of  Black Truffle Oil (which is olive oil with black truffle..very good!).  I mixed it all together on a low heat for a minute or so.  Oil is a wonderful, flavorful healthy fat..but if you add too much or over heat it...it loses all the health benefits.  What you end up with a healthy, filling plate of local food...I think nonna would have approved.  

Be healthy and happy
~L










No comments:

Post a Comment