Monday, November 1, 2010

Sage Rubbed Acorn Squash Stuffed with Wild Rice and Broccolini

As of this past Saturday, the Union Farmers Market is closed for business until next Spring.    It was an amazing season for the growers and for the buyers who reaped the rewards of their hard work.   Central Sq and Davis Sq. so there is time to purchase last minute items, but I was not thinking about this on Saturday morning.   Instead I was trying to collect as many veggies as possible in hopes of holding on to my fun Saturday memories of eating blueberries/raspberries as I wondered around the music filled Square while trying (and failing) to resist Fiori Di Nonno's mouth watering cheese.   What I came home with were 4 different squashes and burrata.

The burrata will be saved for another day...tonight was about the acorn squash and the broccolini that also made its way into my reusable shopping bag.   I find it a fun use food as a vessel for more food..squash is the best for this little adventure.

To start cook rice.  I used Trader Joe's Wild Rice...but any brown rice will do. It would be even better if you did this the night before.  Cooking up a large batch of rice to last the week can be very helpful..

Cut the acorn squash in half.  I used one half but clearly you can use both if needed.  Add a 1/2 tsp of oil (I used sesame) and a pinch of dried sage..salt and pepper.  Roast until tender.

In a pan, I sauteed garlic and onion for a few minutes and then added the broccolini.  Just cook it until it is slightly tender.  I let it cook for a bit then removed them to a cutting board and chopped into smaller pieces.

I then put them back in the pan along with the rice, a handful of chopped walnuts, and handful of golden raisins.  I also took the roasted squash and dished out some of the meaty part and added it to the mixture.  Not all of it, just a few scoops.  This allowed more room for stuff..

I mixed this all together with a dash of cayenne pepper and mirin (sweet cooking wine).
 


Pour the rice into the acorn shell..and enjoy!

It was really tasty....I am thinking this may be my main dish on Thanksgiving..

Be happy and healthy..and stay warm!

L

No comments:

Post a Comment