Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Carrot Soup

Weather was rather nasty yesterday, but for a brief few minutes the sky was blue and the sun made an appearance.  It was during this moment I made a dash for the Farmers Market.  I will note how lucky I am to work only a 4 minute drive from the Central Sq. market.   It was not crowded and the once packed market now only had 3 farm stands left.  There was still a good amount of veggies to choose from..remember they will be there until the week of Thanksgiving!

Well the sun is gone and it is chilly.  Yet another great night for a warm bowl of something.  Tonight Yellow Carrot and Red Kuri Squash Soup.  Simple, quick, low fat/calorie and jammed packed with Vitamins A and C, fiber and potassium..this is a dish that cannot go wrong.  I was inspired to make this by the Parker Farm carrots I purchased.  They are huge and far from those striped down versions you find in stores.   Pictured along side it was the leek that was also used in the soup, also purchased at Parker's stand.  I figured it needed something more than just carrots..enter the kuri squash from Kimball Farm that has been sitting on the counter waiting for me to think of something to do with it...they turned out to be a perfect pairing...


Yellow Carrots and lee
Kuri Squash
















The soup took about 20 minutes from start to finish... definitely less time than pizza delivery!

The recipe is straight forward.  It made enough for 1 person as dinner..maybe 2 if it is a side dish.

Dice leeks and 2 garlic cloves and add to non-stick large pan or pot.  I used a nice deep pan..worked great.  Add diced carrots and cubed squash.

Cook for a few minutes, then add 2 cups of water, salt, a pinch cayenne pepper and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric.  Bring to a bowl and reduce heat.  Let simmer until carrots and squash are soft.  Next step is to simply puree them together.  I placed everything into a large bowl and used my hand mixer.  A food processor is great as well.

What you get is a warm, thick, creamy bowl of flavorful soup.   Hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

Stay healthy and happy...~L





No comments:

Post a Comment