Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sunday Funday: Helicopter Flying

About 1 month ago, I put aside my usual frugalness and decided to let online deals dictate some Summer adventures.  Adventure 1: Fly a helicopter.  Until Groupon told me I wanted to do this, I really never gave it much thought. However, once that deal was bought it became my daily obsession.  I could not wait to take flight and have my hand at flying a piece of machinery that I really have no business being anywhere near.

It was suppose to be last Sunday, but the weather became an issue..as my friend said: "you don't mess with mom nature".  So today was the day and it was perfect, albeit very hot, weather!   I hoped in the car and drove myself to Lincoln Ma, home of Hanscom Air force base and East Coast Aero Club to meet my instructor Dave Smith.  We started with a 45-minute ground school course in which Dave had to tell me how to handle all the possible situations that could go wrong...I remember very little of this, but luckily I did not need know it for my short trip.   Basically, he explained how to use all the controls shown below.  You are suppose to be able to maneuver 3 controls at once..I then showed him my wounded elbow and explained I fell simply running yesterday..I don't think I can do 3 things at once. He felt confident I could handle this task..mainly because he never let go of his instructor controls!
These controls do things to make the helicopter fly..

The helicopter was much smaller than I expected and because it was very hot, Dave took the doors off so we could get a nice breeze.  Yes, we flew with no doors!  Side note: I am too trusting of random people who have my life in their hands..
This is a 4 seater! 
After doing the pre-flight checks, we were ready to go!  The engine started and the propellers were propelling..then suddenly, you are just in the air.  Dave described it perfectly..it was like a magic carpet ride!  As we head up and out, Dave gave me time to take some pics before I have a turn at not killing us flying this thing:

Random water in Concord


Boston in the distance! 
I was then told to take control.  I had my turn to hold the helicopter steady, turn, and fly straight on.  I will not lie, I had absolutely no fear until he told me it was my turn to take the controls..I knew he was driving with me, still I was terrified.  To make me feel better, Dave turned the helicopter almost on it's side to show me it is totally OK...I did not feel better!   I just wanted to keep taking pictures, but I was here to fly and fly I would do!  Mind you I believe I was in the air for a totally of 7 minutes, but it felt longer!  I sort of got the hang of things the last 30 seconds, so that was good!  As we were heading back, Dave asked if I wanted to have the engine "die" and we land without it, as explained to me could happen in a worst case scenario, of which I responded: "Let's do it!" (see side note above about trust).   He descended quickly, controlling everything at once..mind boggling to me..and then we landed softly and safely!  Overall, a fantastic adventure!  

No doors!  What?.  
I don't see myself taking this on a regular hobby, but for sure was an amazing way to spend a Sunday afternoon!  I cannot say enough nice things about my instructor Dave or the whole crew over at East Coast Aero.  They are a great group who really enjoy what they do!  If there is another Groupon or if you are less frugal and will pay retail (really?),  I highly recommended heading a few minutes West of the city for very cool once in a life time opportunity!

Came back to Somerville for dinner at 5 Horses Tavern and some Slumbrew Happy Sol..well earned?  I think so!  

Stay Happy and Healthy!
~L







No comments:

Post a Comment