Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Running for a Cause

In my last blog I wrote about my unplanned path towards employment and sent a wish to the blog-o-sphere for a job.  Well, it turns out that blog wishing works!  I accepted a great position at a community hospital were I will be educating the masses about nutrition and healthy living.  One more hurdle of passing the registered dietitian exam and then I can finally wear my super hero cape and save the world with fruits and vegetables!

I am often asked the question, "why did you choose to go into nutrition?". Well there are many reasons, but the basic to-the-point answer is: I use to be fat.  Not big boned or chubby, but clinically obese.  It can't be too surprising given my love for food..just used to love the wrong foods.  There was a point when I just  got sick of saying I was going to lose weight to be healthy and finally just did it.  I loved learning about food and how our bodies work so much, that I started taking classes..first 1 then 2 and next thing I knew I had a 2nd bachelors, a masters degree in Nutrition and was in a dietetic internship at an amazing hospital.  OK, maybe all that took a really long time since I was working full-time as well, but you get the point.   The total weight loss to date is 80 lbs.  Purely done with healthy eating, exercise and some crazy determination!  I have been able to maintain the weight loss for about 8 years.  How?  By eating healthy and exercising!  Revolutionary, I know.  

My favorite form of exercise, by far, is running.  I love running outdoors year round with no music and no gadgets.  Just me and the freedom that running provides.  I am a morning runner, so I use it to meditate...focusing on breathing, clearing my head and planning my day.   I often say running saved my life because it was my go to exercise during my weight loss as well as my stress reliever when times were tough.  I always feel better after a run. 

Shortly after I started running, I began training for my first 5K, which was the AIDS run /walk that is held in Boston every year.  If I can feel better by running, why not help others by running as well?  Combining running with good causes is really the best thing since someone combined peanut butter and jelly.  I have since run numerous road races where money was donated to a good cause and also fundraised for the penultimate road race, the Boston Marathon, where I raised $3,000+ for the South Boston Neighborhood House.  I selfishly get to do my favorite activity while unselfishly giving to those in need...perfect!  

Which brings me to the long-winded point.  On October 6th I will be running for yet another great charity, The Somerville Homeless Coalition. This is a 5K in Somerville..I have the advantage as I run these streets daily!  Here is the Coalitions story, in their words:
In 1985 the Somerville Homeless Coalition (SHC) was created by the local community’s grassroots response to the social crisis of homelessness. Neighbors, community activists, university students, faith-based leaders, business supporters and city officials united to address the escalating problem of homelessness within Somerville. These collaborative efforts resulted in the opening of the city’s first emergency shelter and the establishment of SHC. Today, SHC transforms lives by providing services, support, resources and housing to well over 600 men, women, and children.  SHC’s emergency response programs include an Adult Shelter, Family Shelter, Food Program & one-on-one Case Management Services. SHC is also an innovator in the realm of “Housing First”. These housing programs involve Homeless Prevention and providing Affordable Housing with home-based Supportive Services to the most at-risk homeless individuals and families in our community.

I have already reached my modest goal of $100, but why stop there!?  My new goal is to double my old one!  So, instead of blog wishing for Mr. Right or a guaranteed passing grade on my board exam, I am wishing for kind souls to donate what they can ($5 is great!) to help me give to SHC, as they give to so many!  

Stay Happy and Healthy!
~L

No comments:

Post a Comment