Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sometimes I do things that don't involve food..

As it turns out, I do other things with my time that don't involve taking pictures of food that I am about to shovel into the mouth.  Granted a good 7 hours of my non-eating time is spent sleeping, however there is a hour or two within waking hours that I am actively doing something that is fun and local..and food free.  Whether it is an outdoor festival, art event, concert or writing a blog,  I am someone who needs to be doing thing and get bored at the notion of just sitting.  Doing something always trumps doing nothing.  Now, thanks to online deal websites such as Groupon, a plethora of even more enjoyable activities are waiting in my inbox daily screaming "You know you want to do XYZ! Buy me and oh the fun you will have!"  I resisted for a while, but now that my internship workload as significantly decreased, I am game for anything and everything that comes my way.   

Today was indeed a random online deal event that brought myself and bunch of friends together to just have old-fashion silly fun.  Google+ had half off entry to a race called Color Me Rad 5K.  I know what you are thinking..."running in a 5K is not silly, nor fun.  Stopping lying to us."   I promise you, this one is different!   This zany run had a course that zig-zaged for the entire 3.1 miles within the Braintree Mall parking lot.  That alone was amusing!  As you run through certain check-points, an ever-so-cheerful volunteer slams you with a colorful corn-starch based powder  that takes you from looking like this:
The first to arrive..
To this:
The whole team!

How can you not have fun while participating in the human form of tie-dying?   There was no clock tempting us to beat our best times..in fact you were told if you came in first to not come back next year. This was intended to be pure and absolute silliness in which all were welcome.  You could run, jog, walk or just hangout by the powder stations...no one cared!  We were being tie-dyed!  As you can see, we were a happy group at the end.  

As the website states: "You'll end up looking like a kindergarten art class gone wrong..."  No truer words have ever been stated.  When the race was complete we were given a bottle of water,  had a cool new colorful T-shirt and the satisfaction of having fun while giving back. Yes, proceeds even went to a charity.  The Simon Youth Foundation provides educational opportunities for students at risk of dropping out of high school.  The MA chapter is located in Peabody.   Besides eating, running and giving to charity are my favorite things!  I think we all took something away from this event..mostly it was that the blue dye will not come off as easily as the rest of the colors!

I know I said this would be a food free post, but I would not be true to myself if I didn't say something!  After the race, a few of use hit Veggie Galaxy in Central Sq. for breakfast.   Where else but Central Sq can a group of people walk down the street looking like they lost a fight with a paint bucket and not even be noticed?  As we entered the restaurant we were greeted by the friendliest staff that were more than excited to see hear about what we did and seat us right away.  I got the Cambridge St tofu omelet with vegan cheese, home fries and whole wheat toast.  Cooked perfectly and served hot, this was the perfect post-race meal. 

Overall an absolutely fabulous Sunday Funday!

Stay happy and healthy!
~L



No comments:

Post a Comment