Sunday, July 1, 2012

Has it really been that long since my last post?

Wow!  April of 2011 was the last posting.  Maybe I thought that tofu curry recipe was too amazing to top!  Maybe I was busy traveling the world learning new and amazing recipes and had no time to write!  Sigh..only if.  What I have been doing is working by butt off in an intensive dietetic internship at a local Boston hospital.  The time commitment was overwhelming and the free food plan from the cafe was too hard to pass up given the lack of pay that accompanies the long hours.  Do not be mistaken, this is not me complaining!  I would not trade this experience for anything and have loved every minute..even those minutes I hated!
Now, with mere 9 weeks left, the light is finally shining from the end of this long tunnel.  I can only hope a real job will be standing in the light when I get there, but I will worry about that later.  More importantly, each week brings a little less take home work and more free time to create and explore local foods.  I think I am a bit rusty.  So far there have been more boring bland meals than yummy exciting ones, but things are starting to come together again.

Today's meal was inspired by what I bought at the farmers market yesterday, little time to go too crazy and the heat.  When you live on the 3rd floor without air conditioning, 90 degree weather quickly makes you a raw food lover.  The result?  An Asian cole slaw that had me reaching for seconds before I was done with firsts!

True to my cooking ways, very little was measured and I encourage you to add your on flare and flavor to this dish.

Inspiration ingredients:
Slaw:
1 head of cabbage
3-4 large carrots
12-ish Sugar snap peas
4 small golden beets
(all above from Parker Farm, Lunenburg MA)
4-5 small scallions (Drumlin Farm, Lincoln MA)
1/4 cup of cashews (Superior Nut Co., Somerville MA)
21st Century Foods Tofu (Jamaica Plain, MA)
Handful of dried cranberries
fresh ground pepper

Dressing:
Adapted from here
3 cloves of minced garlic
1/2 inche ginger, minced
3/4 cup canola oil
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey (local is best!)
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/4 cup water

For the dressing: I put everything in processor and got it done.  I rather go less on the soy sauce and add more salt if needed, but up to you on that!  I used about half the dressing on this slaw and saved the rest.
Slaw: Used the handy mandolin to shred the cabbage and then simply sliced all the other vegetables, add dressing and mix.  I let it sit for a few hours to let the flavors blend.  It was delish and I bet tomorrow it will be even more so!

End result is a colorful and flavorful dish!  Add the is super healthy and involves no oven, totally made my Sunday!



Stay Healthy and Happy!

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment