Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spinach Pesto Pizzetta

Happy Spring loyal blog readers!  

I hope you have been out and about enjoying the wonderful weekend weather...I made the declaration today that the NorthFace winter coat will not make another appearance until sometime in November. A bold statement for a New Englander to make in March (especially with the threat of flurries tomorrow) but I am sticking to it. 


Along with hanging up the winter wear, I also want the winter vegetables to make an exit. I loved the Winter Farmers Market this year and all the local root vegetables that it has brought my way, but the Winter was long and my need for new vegetables is strong. Since I cannot magically make this happen, I will work with what I have in the best way possible. 

I had two new ideas for using pesto, but fresh local basil is not going to be in season for a few more months.  Thinking outside the pesto box, can't any leave green become a pesto?   I have been buying baby winter spinach weekly from North Star Farm and it is rather fantastic.  I am not a fan of traditional pesto to begin with, so I am happy to substitute with this amazing spinach.  This recipe yields about 1/2 cup of pesto.  Some was used on lunch today (see below).  The rest will be part of an old traditional dish that will have an updated twist...look for that posting soon!

Spinach Pesto:
adapted from Real Simple

1 tbps crushed walnuts
1 garlic clove
2 oz baby spinach (North Star Farm)
1tbsp olive oil
salt to taste

Place the walnuts and garlic in a processor and grind.  Add spinach, oil and a dash of dash and grind until smooth.  You can add this to any pasta.

Today, this went on a pizzetta.   I cut about half of a ball of whole wheat dough I purchased from Dave's Fresh Pasta and then cut that half in half to make two pizzettas.  Use about 1 tbsp of the pesto and spread.   I topped one with Fiore di Nonno Fig Burrata and left one plain.  The cheese one was a perfect little lunch.  The second one will be added to dinner.   By the way, this is a good way to get in a vegetable without even trying!
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment