Sunday, March 6, 2011

The new "it" product in my kitchen

I am happy to report that Local Lisa has received her first sample to test in the kitchen.   My wonderful coworker, friend and owner of Ant & Bee products (the maker of the only facial soap I let near my skin)  has passed on to me her equally talented daughter's line of amazing syrups.  I was lucky enough to obtain two bottles: Maple Wild Blueberry and Blood Orange.  The company, The Stand Brooklyn, is making a grass-roots effort to become recognized...and it is working.   Beautifully bottled and "made by hand in small batches", this product is hitting it's stride and is in high demand at local restaurants and markets in NYC.


One taste and you will understand why...with a touch of wonderful sweetness, it is the flavors of the fresh local fruits that truly shine through.  It is a perfect topping to a tart frozen yogurt or addition to flavorless seltzer water.

I have not yet opened the maple wild blueberry because I am saving that for when the weather is warmer and the Fro-Yo is back in the freezer.  I have, however, dived right into the blood orange. I loved the idea of mixing it with a savory dish to see the outcome.   I used it the other night to sweeten some tofu but I was too hesitant with the syrup and too over zealous with other ingredients that the flavor got lost.  I will try again very soon.  

What was a success was my attempt at a simple vinaigrette.

As I was shopping at the Winter Market yesterday, I over heard the farmer from NorthStar Farm, MA explaining the best way to eat brussels sprout leaves.  "Roll the leaves and cut with a sharp knife, add walnuts and cranberries..or whatever you have and toss with a vinaigrette.  Homemade is best, but if you have a store bought one it will work, I guess."
I have never had a brussels sprout leaves, so this had to become the new veg of the week.  I cannot find much about them online, but I am going to assume they are as good a source of Vits K, A and B as well as iron, much like the sprouts themselves.  I also agreed that a homemade vinaigrette was a much better way to go..but what to use?  Oh yeah..how about blood orange syrup!?  Yes!

So here is the recipe for Blood Orange Ginger Vinaigrette as well as a great brussels sprout salad..

Salad:
1 bunch brussels sprout leaves (NorthStar Farm, MA)
1/4 chopped walnuts
1/4 dried cranberries
1 diced carrot (Winter Moon Farm, Hadley MA)
1 raw golden beet (Winter Moon Farm, Hadley MA)

Vinaigrette:
1/4 olive oil
1/4 The Stand Blood Orange Syrup
2 tbsp White wine vinegar
1 sm shallot
1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
dash of salt and pepper

Toss all the chopped salad ingredients into a bowl.

Add all the ingredients for the vinaigrette into a blender and mix.  You can hand whisk as well, but remember to finely chop the shallot!    I found this dressing to be extremely well-balanced and packed with real flavor.   I always find store brand dressings to be either 1. too salty; 2. too acidic.  Not the case here.   Not to mention the combination of the blood orange syrup and ginger is just out of this world delicious!

Add a few tablespoons of the vinaigrette to the salad.  You will make more than you need for this salad.  Keep the rest in a container to liven up your next salad!


Vinaigrette..
Brussels Sprout Leaves Salad..so colorful!

Cover the salad and place in the refrigerator.   Tip: the longer you let the flavors marinate, the better this dish will taste!  I took a small bite last night after prepping and it was tasty..this morning even better!  By the time I chow down on this tonight or tomorrow it will surely be amazing!

For more purchasing or general information about The Stand, check out the website: http://thestandny.com/  or follow on twitter thestandny.  There are many other products to check-out from this brand new and exciting local business!  Hopefully we will be seeing these products at the local Farmers Markets in MA this Summer!

Enjoy!

~L






No comments:

Post a Comment