Sunday, February 13, 2011

Vegetable and Chick Pea Curry

I would like to welcome the newest addition to the blog and my kitchen.  I introduce you to my crock pot..

There is a lot of talk at the lunch table at work about crock pots.  In fact, there was even a day when my lovely coworker brought us dessert made in her very own crock (it was delish btw).   I felt I needed to get in on this crazy pot that made chilis and desserts with ease.  So last week, after work, I went to a local little store to buy one (OK, it was Target but it was at least good deal!).   

Since I am a crock pot novice, I did some extensive Googling to find the perfect recipe...chili seemed way to obvious.   I found this wonderful website called the Savvy Vegetarian.  Love the tag.."easy recipes, simple cooking, healthy eating, green living" .  True to that, the recipe for Chickpea Curry was simple, very healthy and straight forward.  I had all the ingredients in my kitchen.  The recipe did not call for any vegetables, but I wanted to add some so I headed to the Saturday Farmers Market to grab some fresh carrots and zucchini.  

This is a good time to note that Enterprise Farms has this great program where they obtain fresh produce (i.e. zucchini) from small farms along the east coast.  Makes it possible to get a great selection of produce in the cold New England winter months with the knowledge of exactly what farm it came from.  Enterprise Farm is very trusted, so if they are selling it I know it is good stuff.  There is a large selection of local produce from green houses or from storage at the market as well!  

Ok back to the curry and the crock.   As someone who thinks about what is for dinner shortly after eating breakfast, a crock pot is good fit.  Not only can I think about it, but I can actually prepare dinner that early!   The recipe called for a cook time of 6 to 9 hours.  I went with 7 hours because that was when I got hungry and wanted to eat.  The flavors of all the ingredients meld together so wonderfully.    It does add a depth of flavor you cannot from a stove top pot...my "slow food" needs to be cooked slowly to get the best flavors out.

Vegetable and Chick Pea Curry 
adapted from Savvy Vegetarian
Serves 6
Cook time: 6-9 hours (7 worked out fine)

1 tbsp  canola oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch ginger, peeled and grated
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 c. Chickpeas dried (soak over night)
12 oz diced tomatoes (my seemingly never ending supply from the summer jarring)
1 lrg Zucchini, diced (Enterprise Farm Program, FL)
1 lrg Carrot, diced (MA..can't remember the farm but the farmer is super nice!)
1/2 tsp garam masala (to be added prior to serving!)

Soak Chick peas overnight and then cook until soft (about 20-30 minutes).   You do not have to soak them, but that will only add to the pre-crock pot cooking time.
In a large pan, heat oil on medium heat and add onion, garlic and ginger.  Saute on a low-medium heat for 5 minutes.  

I like to put all the spices into a small bowl so that I know I got them all in there and in the right proportion.  

Once everything is ready,  put all the ingredients (except the garam marsala) into the crock pot and set it to low.  By 11 AM my dinner was under way!  Since I am still nursing a bit of a cold, I was able to just sit around and watch movies while dinner took care of itself.  I should say dinner and lunch for the next few days..

About an hour before I took the dish out, I made some brown rice to serve with the curry.  Add the garam marsala just before serving and blend in to the curry. 

Here is the final product.  Healthy, simple, filling, colorful and flavorful!  All the characteristics of a winning dish and this dish is a winner!!!  

Enjoy!
~L


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Looks delicious. I haven't pulled my crockpot out in a while; this inspires me! The most wonderful thing about cooking in a crockpot is opening the door to come into the house after a long day at work -- the wonderful smell! Like some loving person has been in my kitchen cooking all day, for me!
    Eleanor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving the crockpot Eleanor! Although, if I am home while it is cooking my mouth waters for the full duration!

    ReplyDelete