Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Roasted Butternut Squash

Do you ever check facebook and become overly excited at your friend's post that he/she "went to the gym" or is "watching American Idol"?  Yeah, me either.  I do, however, a happy dance when I see that one of my local businesses has a cool update.  Pizzeria Posto and their Blizzard Monday deal ($9.95 pizza and $5 glass of chianti..awesome) or Somerville Farmers' Market updating on the guest vendor of the week.  Yesterday, it was the update that Lily's pasta was back at Sherman's that had me zipping to the market on my way home from the office.
I love that vegan ziti and was so excited to have the chance to finally buy it again!  Sadly, I went and they did not have the vegan ziti..but they did have some ziti so I went with it.  I love fresh pasta but sometimes you buy it and life takes you away and you cannot cook it in the day or two before it goes bad...but Lily's is fresh and then frozen..so you can eat it at a later date.  It works into the busy life of a local shopper nicely.  I wish they had a whole wheat ziti but you can't always get what you want.
I know the world will not end if I eat white pasta once in a while...you should know that too.

I kept it simple for dinner tonight.  Butternut squash, ziti, salty sea feta.  A little seasoning and you are good to go.

Ingredients:
Butternut squash (MA)
walnut oil
maple syrup
dries sage
salt
ziti (Lily's, Everett, MA)
Narragansett Salty Sea Feta (Providence, RI)

I peeled and roasted a whole butternut squash for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees.   Before putting it in the oven I added a tsp of walnut oil to each half, some sage, salt and a tsp of maple syrup.


It was just undercooked, but that was fine.  I put most of it into the fridge.  I cubed and cooked the rest (about half of the half) in a pan with some shallots.  In the mean time boil and cook some pasta.  Pasta, butternut squash and top with cheese.   Salty and sweet...mmm

Stay Happy and Healthy!

~L

No comments:

Post a Comment