Thursday, October 21, 2010

Butternut Squash and Coconut Curry

I woke up at 6 AM this morning knowing exactly what I was going to make for dinner tonight and then had to wait 12 hours to get cooking...but it was so worth the wait.  For the second time this week butternut squash was the center of the meal and it did not disappoint.  Although it is not that cold outside, my work office is about -30 degrees and my apartment (with my refusal to use heat in Oct) is no warmer..but at least my sweats are more comfortable than work attire.  Anyway,  as I shivered in my little office, I thought about how warm and scrumptious a bowl of spicy curry would be in my belly..it was a nice distraction.

The recipe was from a fun little blog called Love and Olive Oil.  Instead of Farmers Market, she cooks from her CSA..which is equally wonderful.  She got the recipe from Epicurious.  I did not change much other than adding less cilantro as I felt it would over power the dish and omitting lime juice because I forgot to buy a lime.  

The best thing about this dish was that I had almost all the ingredients in my kitchen, so it was cost effective to boot.  The few Asian items I did need were easy to find at our favorite local store Reliable Market..which is indeed reliable.  Friendly and  filled with aisles and aisle of every Asian product needed..plus SPAM.  I don't understand the SPAM, but if you need it you can get it here.  What I needed was some red curry paste, soba noodles and cilantro.  When I had trouble finding the the curry paste, the workers were more than happy to point me in the right direction..who would have guessed it would be near the SPAM?  Reliable Market is also reliably inexpensive.  Red Curry paste is easily $4-$5 in regular stores, here only $1.19.   I should have known only spending a total of $5 and trying to use a debit card would not fare well here, but the cashier told me "just this once" and slid my card.  How can you not love this place?  

Rumor has it that some people want to destroy this lovely landmark of Union Sq.  Yes, we are all happy that sometime in the next 50 years the Green line will set up shop straight through Somerville right on into Medford, but a cost.  There is talk of using the space on the Reliable Market block as a parking lot for commuters.  Hopefully these are just awful rumors.  My recipe book and the neighborhood needs Reliable Market...so if a good old chaining to the door is needed..count me in.  

Enough talking and more cooking.  Here is the amazing dish that I made tonight.  I highly recommend you try it too.  Union Sq. market is open Saturday for all your squash needs and Reliable Market right there too..to provide the missing ingredients.

Butternut Squash and Coconut Curry
I modified the recipe some to be for 1 person.  Seek out the original for a larger quantity or just guesstimate...the beauty of cooking..

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cups chopped onions
1/2 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces  (Kimball Farm)
1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
1 teaspoon minced seeded jalapeño chili
1 minced garlic clove
1 cup light unsweetened coconut milk
1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste (Reliable Market) (read the label to make sure it is vegetarian if you are!)
Soba noodles (I used buck wheat version) (Reliable Market)
small hand full chopped fresh cilantro (Reliable Market)

Directions:
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until golden, about 3 minutes. Add squash; sauté 4 minutes. Add broth, jalapeño and garlic; bring to boil. Cover; cook until squash is almost tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in coconut milk and curry paste. Simmer uncovered until squash is tender and liquid is slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt.

Meanwhile, cook noodles in large pot of boiling water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain noodles. Return to pot. Add squash mixture and cilantro to noodles; toss to blend. Serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment